BUG: Only 1 (original) Admin can make changes to Settings, Why?

Index Forums WordPress plugins Add Link to Facebook BUG: Only 1 (original) Admin can make changes to Settings, Why?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  janubande007 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
15 November 2012 at 20:23 #6079

janubande007

I installed & setup this plugin using an administrator user “Admin”….I have another user called “2ndadmin” and he’s an administrator too. However, when trying to setup this plugin, I’m getting a message saying only user with id=1 (which in my case is user “admin”) can make changes.

This is a BUG. Can this be fixed? Cause If I someday were to remove user “admin” which I’m thinking of for security reasons with Bot Attacks, I may be stuck. And No other plugin I’ve used every disallows me to update settings using any other user that has administrator previliges!

15 November 2012 at 20:24 #6080

janubande007

————–Marcel Bokhorst
This is not a bug, it is because you have enabled ‘Share with all users’ in the easy setup section (it doesn’t matter if the user that ticked is administrator or not or if other users are administrators or not). If you want to switch account, you’ll have to authorize the plugin from the other account (and untick the option for the original account and tick it again for the new account).
————-Marcel Bokhorst

15 November 2012 at 20:24 #6081

janubande007

Hello Marcel. Thanks for responding so quick. Well, I do want to share my Facebook plugin for All users. I want all their comments to go to the Facebook account & come back to my site so I get the swarming effect for my SEO. I cannot have users create their own Facebook settings.

So what has that setting got to do with preventing a legitimate Administrator from making changes to settings. If anything, when \”Share with all users\” is enabled, I would expect at the very least ANY Administrator user (not other users) to be able to change these settings and if I\’m NOT sharing these setting then I would expect only the specific user to change these settings.

Would you be able to enhance the plugin this way?

15 November 2012 at 20:26 #6082

janubande007

————–Marcel Bokhorst
Unfortunately that is not possible, because the plugin is a multi-user plugin. The Facebook authorization is tied to the WordPress user. A WordPress administrator is ‘just’ a WordPress user with more permissions, but that doesn’t change the fact the authorization is tied to an(other admin) account.
————–Marcel Bokhorst

15 November 2012 at 20:30 #6083

janubande007

Okay then so, If I were to uncheck “Share will all users”, when a user responds to my post as an admin, will those comments go into facebook and facebook comments come back? Those users may not have any authorization, but the original poster (admin) does?

Also how to I copy ALL settings from one user to another?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  janubande007. Reason: clarified comment
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  janubande007. Reason: clarified comment
15 November 2012 at 21:21 #6086

Marcel

Okay then so, If I were to uncheck “Share will all users”, when a user responds to my post as an admin, will those comments go into facebook and facebook comments come back? Those users may not have any authorization, but the original poster (admin) does?

Only if a user has authorized the plugin or if another user has enabled ‘Share with all users’, then native (WordPress) comment integration will work (the Facebook comments plugin is another story).

Also how to I copy ALL settings from one user to another?

Only manually.

15 November 2012 at 21:42 #6087

janubande007

Hello Marcel, Your reply is adding more questions and confusing me. The last reply indicates to me that for comments to go into Facebook, the user posting the comment or post must have authorized the plugin…..please corrent to me if I’m wrong in my understanding.

If I want to uncheck “Share with all users”, I’m having a hard time unserstanding what permissions and authorization need to be given to whom so that I can have have my plugin setup properly so that Facebook integration of posts & comments work to my one & only Facebook account.

My users are NOT going to be allowed to setup anything or post anything, they will be mere comment users (with read & comment permissions only). All I want to do is dump their comments to my Facebook and get comments from my Facebook back to my blog. How do I do such a thing, if I cannot have “Share with all users”, since this plugin does not allow ALL Admins Share the settings with that option enabled?

Can you come up with an option called “Share with all users and Let ALL Admins edit Settings”? This is what I’m trying to accomplish, how do I do that without such an option in the meantime?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  janubande007. Reason: more clarification to comment
15 November 2012 at 22:44 #6092

janubande007

Alright I did some testing and determined that a user whose role is “subscriber” and has no setup for “Add Link to Facebook” can post comments to a post & they do go get posted to Facebook account of the posting author. So I answered this question myself.

However, what I’m bummed about is that I can’t share those settings among All my Admins. As that means, duplicate configuration. Until you can figure out how to do that, can you at least provide an option to export/import all the “Settings” so that we can at least copy it over, or provide instructions on how to do that from the WP Database?

16 November 2012 at 10:01 #6097

Marcel

Two WordPress users that have WordPress administrator permissions could have two different personal Facebook accounts. Having WordPress administrator permissions does not imply Facebook administrator permissions. I am open to feature requests, but this request could lead to privacy/security problems.

16 November 2012 at 15:40 #6099

janubande007

Obviously if there are more than 1 Admins, they are highly responsible people with proper Communication channels outside of the WP Dashboard, and if they are going to share settings, they would have discussed it first.

I fully understand that 2 WordPress Admin users could have 2 different Facebook accounts. However, Facebook also offers Pages for businesses & professionals, and companies use these accounts for business and they may have multiple people (or Admins) managing their social media profiles, pages and WP Blog sites.

Which is why I’m suggesting a 2nd Checkbox that say’s “Share settings with ALL Admins” as it could be useful for business sites with social media profile & pages like mine who may have a small number of Admins. But if you don’t wan’t to do this, at least for now what would be really useful (given the sheer number of settings you have), an option to import & export settings, so we can easily copy it over manually to all Admin accounts, or even instructions to do this from the Database would be useful.

16 November 2012 at 16:04 #6102

Marcel

The user settings are stored in the WordPress database as user meta values whose name start with ‘al2fb_’.

16 November 2012 at 16:07 #6103

janubande007

Hey Marcel, Thanks for that information.

Until you provide the option to share with Admins, or the import / export, Would you be able to include that as a “comment” somewhere easy to notice on the Plugin settings page so we can easily find it?

Thanks.

17 November 2012 at 19:43 #6120

janubande007

PS…this could be a security hole for some people with many Facebook plugin users that could change something on the Admin tab, and have it affect all users. May be you should re-consider “Share Settings with all Users and Let All Admins Edit” option, that does not sound too bad to me (when compared to the Global Admin tab) and could be actually very useful. Just my 2 cents.

17 November 2012 at 19:44 #6121

janubande007

———–Marcel
Only WordPress administrators can edit (and see) the options on the settings tab ‘Admin’, so security is covered, no worries. All other options are personal options (even for administrators), so no other users can edit/see them.
———–Marcel

17 November 2012 at 19:45 #6122

janubande007

Oh…Well, that means you already have a “Share with All Users and only Let Admins Edit” Option by default working for the “Admin Tab”…..Would you be able to extend this via a “Check Box” for all settings?

17 November 2012 at 19:47 #6123

Marcel

Also that is by default: only the user that enables ‘Share with all users’ can see/edit the options, other users not anymore.

17 November 2012 at 19:49 #6124

janubande007

I know that, and what I’m asking is for a CheckBox option that would allow ONLY Admins to see those settings when shared, not any other users. Since this is how the “Admin Tab” seems to be operating anyway, I’m saying extend that type of functionality to ALL settings, via another check box when the settings are shared.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  janubande007. Reason: more thoughts
17 November 2012 at 20:12 #6126

janubande007

Its okay if you decide not to add the “Share with Admins” checkbox feature, I want to make sure I was clearly describing it to you.

But would you at least be able to update the “Admin Tab” with a noticable comment that lets us know that they are “shared globally” and “only admins can see & edit”?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BUG: Only 1 (original) Admin can make changes to Settings, Why?’ is closed to new replies.